Pillow Cover Sizing Guide
► ALL MEASUREMENTS ARE TAKEN ACROSS THE MIDDLE OF THE COVER (WHERE ARROWS POINT IN DIAGRAM ABOVE).
► Size options are listed with the recommended insert size, followed by the finished cover size in (brackets).
► For example: If you are using a 18x18 insert, order "Fits 18x18 insert (17x17 cover)" and we will make your pillow cover to fit appropriately.
► If you have an old cover that fits your insert well, measure your old cover and compare its dimensions to the size chart below to find the closest size. The size chart is designed for knife-edge inserts only (inserts without a gusset). Contact us if you require assistance.
|IF YOU SELECT THIS INSERT SIZE:||THE FINISHED COVER WILL MEASURE APPROXIMATELY (at arrows, in inches):|
|For Most Fabrics||For Heavyweight Fabrics Only|
|Fits 12x18 insert||11.5 x 17||11 x 17|
|Fits 12x20 insert||11.5 x 19||11 x 19|
|Fits 12x24 insert||11.5 x 23||11 x 22|
|Fits 14x18 insert||13.5 x 17||13x17|
|Fits 14x20 insert||13.5 x 19||13 x 19|
|Fits 14x26 insert||13 x 25||13 x 24|
|Fits 14x36 insert||13 x 35||13 x 34|
|Fits 16x16 insert||15.5 x 15.5||15.25 x 15.25|
|Fits 16x26 insert||15.5 x 25||15 x 24|
|Fits 18x18 insert||17 x 17||17 x 17|
|Fits 20x20 insert||19 x 19||18.5 x 18.5|
|Fits 22x22 insert||20.5 x 20.5||20 x 20|
|Fits 24x24 insert||22 x 22||21.5 x 21.5|
|Fits 26x26 insert||24 x 24||23 x 23|
|Fits 28x28 insert||26 x 26||25 x 25|
► Don't see your size listed above? Request a custom size.
► Please allow for +/- 3% tolerance on measurements. Minor variances do not affect the fit. Our pillow covers are human-made and measurements may not be exact down to the millimeter.
► Finished cover sizes are made smaller than the insert size. For further explanation, please see this FAQ.
► The posted measurements are taken at the interior midpoints with the cover inside out.
► All covers are made with tapered corners for a professional appearance (no droopy corners!), and are tested on good quality feather inserts before shipping.
► FOR MORE HELP: Please review our Frequently Asked Questions, where you can find answers to the following questions:
- My insert doesn't have a size tag. How do I measure it for best accuracy?
- Why do you size your covers by the insert size?
- Why are your pillow covers not perfectly square?
- Is it OK to reuse my old pillow as the insert inside a new cover?
- Why do you make the pillow cover smaller than the insert size?
- If you have questions about pattern placement, please see here and here
► SIZING ADVICE:
- Our standard sizing assumes you are using a knife-edge insert with industry-standard filling (feather or polyfil) in good condition. Knife-edge inserts are sold by their length x width dimensions. Do not use inserts with a gusset, which will require a 6-sided boxed cover.
- ► TIP: Be careful choosing a size if your inserts are old, because the filling may be compressed far more than the shell dimensions will indicate. You may need to go down a size if your insert has an inadequate volume of filling. Or better yet, purchase new inserts! A great looking pillow starts from the inside. All of our pillows are photographed on good quality feather inserts.
- Cover dimensions are of the flat 2-dimensional cover, measured across the middle where the cover is widest. Once you fill it with an insert, some of the height and width of the flat cover will wrap around the curve of the 3-dimensional insert. This means that visually speaking, the 3-dimensional stuffed pillow will not translate inch for inch from the size of the 2-dimensional cover, but will look smaller. Therefore, err on the side of ordering a larger size if you are on the fence between two sizes.
After stuffing with your insert, the flat pillow cover becomes a curved object. The top/sides will curve away from your eyes, which will make the finished pillow look a little smaller than the flat dimensions.
For example, this photo shows a 20 inch chair seat. A 22 inch cover can fit on this seat, because some of those inches are wrapped around the thickness of the insert.
- ► TIP: If you are not sure of what size to use on your furniture, buy the inserts first, and arrange them on your sofa. This way, you will know if they are in proportion, before you order your custom covers.
Below are links to photos of how each pillow insert looks on an average 2 seat or 3 seat sofa to help you visualize the relative sizes:
Please see below for general suggestions for common furniture types:*
|Loveseat (2-seat) or low-profile sofas with short backs||Fits 18x18 insert (17x17 cover) or Fits 20x20 insert (19x19 cover)|
|Full size 3-seat sofa||Fits 22x22 insert (20.5x20.5 cover) or Fits 24x24 insert (22x22 cover)|
|Single chairs (small-medium)||Fits 12x20 insert (11x19 cover) or Fits 14x20 insert (13x19 cover)|
|Single chairs (large)||Fits 12x24 insert (11x23 cover) or Fits 14x26 insert (13x25 cover)|
|Large Sectional Sofas||Use a mix of Fits 22x22 insert (20.5x20.5 cover) or Fits 24x24 insert (22x22 cover), and various rectangular sizes to add interest|
|Full size bed||Use two Fits 26x26 insert (24x24 cover) or two Fits 28x28 insert (26x26 cover) across the headboard, plus a long size (Fits 14x26 insert (13x25 cover) or Fits 14x36 (13x35 cover)) to finish the ensemble|
|Queen size bed||Fits 26x26 insert (24x24 cover) - use 3 across headboard, plus a an extra long Fits 14x36 (13x35 cover) size to finish the ensemble|
|King size bed||Fits 28x28 insert (26x26 cover) - use 3 across headboard, plus a an extra long Fits 14x36 (13x35 cover) size to finish the ensemble|
|Small benches or reading nooks or to add variety to larger pillow groupings||
Fits 16x16 insert (15.5x15 cover) or Fits 12x18 insert (11x19 cover)
Note: These small sizes are decorative in nature and are generally too small to provide functional back support for adults.
* Please note that if you are unsure of the sizing, we strongly recommend that you purchase the inserts first and figure out what looks in best proportion to your furniture, before the custom covers are ordered.